The InfoVista booth has been buzzing the past few days here in Barcelona, and we've officially passed the halfway point at Mobile World Congress! We'll be giving demos at our booth for the remainder of the conference about how mobile operators can use the InfoVista product suite to improve their network planning and design and network optimization.
In the meantime, we're also learning a lot from the keynotes and other attendees about the trajectory of the mobile industry. Unsurprisingly, the mobile industry is one of the fastest growing in the world, and that is on full display here in Barcelona! Here are the top five mobile industry measurements we're hearing about this week:
1) Mobile operators will invest $1.7 trillion in high speed mobile broadband networks by 2020 — that's half the federal budget of the U.S. — to support growing demand for personal data, connected living, digital commerce and network 2020 (Keynote: Jon Fredrik Baksaas, chairman of GSMA and CEO of Telenor Group).
2) With the rise of equipment vendors, wireless service providers, chip makers, software developers and the many other players involved in delivering high quality mobile communications, the mobile industry is expected to exceed $2 billion by 2025 (NYT).
3) The first 5G networks will be rolled out as soon as next year (IT Pro).
4) WhatsApp hopes to support free calling for one billion global users, posing a significant threat to mobile operators' bandwidth usage and voice revenues (Keynote: Jan Koum, co-founder and CEO of WhatsApp).
5) The majority of connected people have more than one SIM card, and that number is only going to accelerate (Keynote: Anne Bouverot, director general, GSMA).
As the number of connected devices increases and mobile data usage accelerates, we at InfoVista are very conscious that mobile operators will need to holistically monitor and optimize their networks to maintain a high quality of experience. That may be tricky with over-the-top providers like WhatsApp sending one billion calls across complex heterogeneous networks, but our vendor-agnostic, real-time network performance monitoring and network optimization tools are constantly evolving to meet these demands. Stop by booth #7G40 to learn more about how our market-leading solutions are helping mobile operators plan, operate, optimize and monetize their next-generation networks