NetFlow MonitoringNetwork Traffic Analysis: Tackle a Vital Part of Application Performance Management With NetFlow Monitoring
A crucial component of application performance management is NetFlow monitoring. This traffic analysis technique enables service providers and enterprises to analyze IP network traffic to ensure the quality of critical business applications. When equipped with such a view of IP sessions, organizations can answer questions such as: Which applications are being used on the network? Who is using them? What are the most utilized servers? Which class of service priority each application has been assigned? They can also tell whether the quality of service on the network is good and when abnormal applications are consuming excessive bandwidth or threatening network security.
InfoVista 5View™ NetFlow (Enterprise Edition) and 5View™ NetFlow SP (Service Provider Edition) appliances collect IP network traffic data from routers and switches, aggregate it, and then analyze it, to give network operations teams the visibility they need to troubleshoot and resolve application performance issues, pinpoint the cause of application congestion, group applications by class of service and alarm criteria, improve capacity planning, and ensure quality of service.
- Fast, easy, inexpensive deployment—a 5View NetFlow appliance can be up and running, collecting data, and reporting in a day
- 5View NetFlow’s intuitive Web 2.0 interface makes it very easy-to-use, whether by a seasoned flow management expert or a novice
- Scalability—5View NetFlow appliances can process between 150,000 (standard Enterprise Edition) and 400,000 (Service Provider Edition) flow records per second
- In a distributed environment of multiple appliances, the solution scales to manage millions of records per second—with such robust performance, fewer 5View NetFlow collectors can do the same job as a greater number of a more expensive competitor’s solution
- Support for Cisco’s Application Visibility and Control (AVC)
- Flexible interface and reporting—users can easily access application-related flow data through built-in drill-downs and matrix capabilities
- Network traffic views and alerts are grouped by client, server, application, service, and infrastructure for faster, easier troubleshooting and identification of bandwidth-intensive applications, and causes of application congestion
- Network traffic analysis, trend analysis and capacity planning—5View NetFlow’s three months of performance data (one year when supported by 5View™ Service Data Manager or 5View™ Mediation) and multiple report formats make it easy for the user to track trends in application behavior and efficiently perform in-depth application flow analysis and capacity planning
- Detection of rogue activity—5View NetFlow collectors can also be used to bolster security by identifying unusual behavior, such as an application trying to talk to a number of servers or connect to multiple ports
- Multi-tenant application flow collection—particularly attractive to service providers, the 5View NetFlow SP appliance (Service Provider Edition) can be used to handle multiple customers using a single appliance
- This multi-tenant approach is more cost effective (from a TCO perspective), easier to deploy and manage, and “greener” (using less energy)